Project: Measuring Broadband
The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the Census regularly publish data on U.S. Internet availability, performance and use, at granularities from census block to county and state. The project goal is to answer questions based on the available data, such as “How reliable is Internet access?”, “Who is deploying fiber where?”, “Can we predict reliability of different technologies?”, “Can we predict the deployment of fiber?”
One selected candidate will receive a stipend via the DSI Scholars program. Amount is subject to available funding.
- Professor Henning Schulzrinne
- Department/School: CS/SEAS
- Location: Morningside Campus
- Earliest starting date: 03/01/2019
- End date: 08/31/2019
- Number of hours per week of research expected during Spring 2019: ~10
- Number of hours per week of research expected during Summer 2019: ~20
- Skill sets: Data science; statistics; Python or R; database.
- Student eligibility (as of Spring 2019):
freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, master’s
- International students on F1 or J1 visa: eligible