Project: Project ToxicDocs
We house the world’s largest dataset of once-secret documents on industrial pollution, unleashed from the vaults of corporations like DuPont, Dow, and Monsanto in toxic tort litigation. We are applying data science methods to analyze and render this material useable to a broad audience.
- Professor Merlin Chowkwanyun
- Department/School: Sociomedical Sciences, Mailman School of Public Health
- Location: Allan Rosenfield Building, 722 West 168th Street
- Start date: 05/21/2018
- End date: 09/01/2018
- Number of hours per week of research expected: 10-20
- Skill sets: Must be familiar with your preferred language’s MongoDB driver; MongoDB; unstructured data; NLP libraries (NLTK, spacy, others); D3.js and familiarity with AWS a plus but not necessary.
- Student eligibility (as of Spring 2018): freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, master’s
- International students on F1 or J1 visa: eligible
- Other comments: Creative self-starters with irreverent spirit are especially welcome.