Project: Technology transfer insights from data
CTV’s core mission is to facilitate the transfer of inventions from academic labs to the market for the benefit of society. In a typical year, CTV receives ~400 inventions, completes ~100 licenses and options, and helps form ~20 startups. A good video summary of CTV is here: https://vimeo.com/110193999.
Success in technology transfer can involve a confluence of research funding, invention, intellectual property management, development, licenses and/or start-ups, and tech transfer offices like ours. Data on these factors exist, but are disparate. We are looking for a data science intern to
+ wrangle and standardize data from these sources + document and create a few demonstration analyses to allow third party use of these sources
The goal is to host a multi-institution hackathon in the late fall to produce insights that could improve university technology transfer.
- Professor Orin Herskowitz
- Department/School: Columbia Technology Ventures
- Location: 80 Claremont Avenue, 4th Floor
- Start date: 06/01/2018
- End date: 08/31/2018
- Number of hours per week of research expected: ~25
- Skill sets: Python, R
- Student eligibility (as of Spring 2018): freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, master’s
- International students on F1 or J1 visa: NOT eligible
- Other comments: Creative self-starters with irreverent spirit are especially welcome.